1 (edited by qwerty800 2008-10-24 14:46:38)

Topic: (Engine)Enchancements

I'm recreating this topic because there was some posts (special thanks to landil, now I hate you) I wanted to remove.

qwerty800 wrote:

Well, everybody know how do the graphic engine reacts to the skinfiles...
http://jeppo.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/teewars_skins.png

COLOR LAYER:
A recurrent problem with it is the team coloration...

The engine apply some mathematics algorithm who don't always give the result you want...

Well, the addition of a color layer would be useful:

The color layer is BLACK.
It have the display priority on his body part (ex:feet) but not on the upper one (ex:body)
The skinner can apply any kind of blur or transparency effects he want...
If the color layer is fully opaque, the tee will be fully red/blue/custom colored:

Without color layer:
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/851/sanstitre1yj1.jpg

With a fully opaque color layer:
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/184/sanstitre2io4.jpg
DRAMATIZATION
So, the color layer only change from black to the custom color.

qwerty800 wrote:

TOP layer:

The top layer would simply be a layer who have priority on the eyes.
It would allow to do:
*Hats
*Lenses
*Masks
*And so on...

Feel free to comment or add sugesstions...

qwerty800 wrote:

*.SKN FILES:

The skn files would be a more complex kind of skin file.

They would simply be a .zip file renamed in .skn

A basic skn file contain:
-At least one skin frame
-A .ini file

The ini file would be used for scripting.

Eg:

My skinfile:

Lightbulb_off.png
Lightbulb_on.png
skin.ini

My .ini file:

Animated=null
TurnAround=0
DefaultFrame=./Lightbulb_off
Load ./Lightbulb_on if kill
Load ./Lightbulb_on if acapture
Load ./Lightbulb_on if capture

It means ("./" is the skn file root):

The skin is not animated
The skin must not turn around if he's aiming in his back (would be useful for ripped-off skins)
The defaut frame is Lightbulb_off
It switch to lightbulb_on when the player kill or capture of if an ally capture.

It would allow:
Animated skins;
Scripted skins;

qwerty800 wrote:

.SKN FILES 2:

I will try to be as clear as possible:

The ini file is a text file, who can be read by a human with some efforts.

Me, as an example, I never programmed of my whole life and I'm going to imagine the structure of an .ini file.

http://img99.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

-This is the x_ninjamario form homer.

-Lets say I have 10 frames.
-They're named frame_1, frame_2, frame_3...
(note for devs: The engine use the smallest natural number aviable as starting frame, even if it's something like 3 or 5)

-This skin is a profiled picture (the sides have an importance)

-And there is no reaction script

Before we start, I must tell you:
"%s": This is a token (a variable) Here, it design my frame number

"./": We're in a zip file, remember? It is very important to specify to the program we're working in the skn file and not anywhere else.

"#": These are just comment lines to make you understand

#The default animation of the skin use every files who's named frame_"a number"
Animated=default=./frame_%s
#The default animation must loop at end
LoopAtEnd=default
#The default animation must start as soon as we see it.
DefaultStart=default
#The default animation of the skin must turn around when aiming in his back.
TurnArounnd=default

Now, Landil, try to be smarter AND nicer: DON'T POST HERE!!!!

90% of teens today would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed.
If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.
My skins

Re: (Engine)Enchancements

qwerty800 wrote:

I'm recreating this topic because there was some posts (special thanks to landil, now I hate you) I wanted to remove.

a) Calm down, no need for immense emotions.
b) Jeppo's template is wrong, the eyes are labled incorrectly (I know, that it's irrelevant, but nevertheless I felt like I had to tell it)
c) I don't think that further animation is useful or pretty. But thanks for your implementation ideas though I might think that there could be more sophisticated solutions.

just my 50 cents.

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

3 (edited by Landil 2008-10-24 17:01:26)

qwerty800 wrote:

I'm recreating this topic because there was some posts (special thanks to landil, now I hate you) I wanted to remove. (...)

Okay I will be so kind and won't post here.

But please allow me to make an annotation.
1. As Lappi stated: Jeppo's template is definitely wrong!
2. I don't see a need for animated or scripted tees. Custom skins are not supported and standard tees won't need animations or a complete change of the skin system. (Besides, who is supposed to code this?)
3. No need to increase complexness with a colour layer, as one can a) optimise the "custom colour" function and b) optimise the skins
4. teeworlds is and stays teeworlds: It's not super mario world, counter strike, rainbow island or somewhat else.

Please tell me what _real_ benefit this will have. The only one I can see is for custom skins. And as we can see here, only few ppl create high quality skins. The more complex the requirements are, the less quality you will get.

special thanks to Qwerty800, now I love you tongue

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

Okay I will be so kind and won't post here.

But please allow me to make an annotation.
1. As Lappi stated: Jeppo's template is definitely wrong!
2. I don't see a need for animated or scripted tees. Custom skins are not supported and standard tees won't need animations or a complete change of the skin system. (Besides, who is supposed to code this?)
3. No need to increase complexness with a colour layer, as one can a) optimise the "custom colour" function and b) optimise the skins
4. teeworlds is and stays teeworlds: It's not super mario world, counter strike, rainbow island or somewhat else.

You're never happy with anything, don't you?

1.It's just at an indicative meaning, don't need to be exact.
2.The skin engine or the ini file?
3.Why not? If you skin don't display correctly and then you learn you can't do anything with this, what are you gonna do?
4. Well, if the fans want to make their skins, I don't think we should forbid them to do so...

90% of teens today would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed.
If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.
My skins

Everybody has the right to tell his opinion so dont be upset because Landil posted his op. I personally dont like ur idea of scripted skins, because I see no real benefit from it. 98% of the time I play CTF where my tee is either red or blue, so it is almost totally irrelevant to me which skin does I have selected. I think there are some more important things to get done with regards to tw developement, but if u want real feedback from the devs join to the irc and present them ur idea.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

6 (edited by 101kl 2008-10-24 23:51:56)

guess what, thread is ruined again! congratulations.
I'm not sure, but i think remaking a thread just because you didn't like the posts is, against the forum rules wink

_|---------------------------------------|_
  |Skins StudioPaw Steam Icon Graphics |
_|---------------------------------------|_

qwerty800 wrote:

You're never happy with anything, don't you?

1.It's just at an indicative meaning, don't need to be exact.
2.The skin engine or the ini file?
3.Why not? If you skin don't display correctly and then you learn you can't do anything with this, what are you gonna do?
4. Well, if the fans want to make their skins, I don't think we should forbid them to do so...

You're right; you got it. I'm not happy with nearly everything you say.

2. Who is supposed to code the engine?
3. Can you reask this question, I'm not sure what you want me to say. But "one can a) optimise the "custom colour" function and b) optimise the skins"
4. Millions of flies cannot make a mistake: EAT MORE SHIT. If they want some, let them eat it. If "the fans" want to make their own skins, well... then let them do it. But you need not to encourage them to produce shit (which other flies will eat).

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Landil and qwerty800: End your flamewar now! Go have this discussion on irc or over e-mail or whatever, just not here.

Used to be very active waay back

9 (edited by |X-treme Leader| Magix 2008-10-27 20:54:54)

I think Landil is happy with some (not many, but still a few) things, just not stupid people  like me. However, this is not the place for you to settle wether (<---Did I spell that right?) or not Landil is a happy-camper or not. However, I don't like how you specifically pointed him out in your original post and make negative insinuations (<--Big Word) about Landil's intelligence. This forum isn't a place for people to flame each other, it is to benefit everybody through a community effort. The only person you are allowed to make fun of here is me, got that?

o_0 Magix 0_o

|X-treme Leader| Magix wrote:

I think Landil is happy with some (not many, but still a few) things, just not stupid people  like me. However, this is not the place for you to settle wether (<---Did I spell that right?) or not Landil is a happy-camper or not. However, I don't like how you specifically pointed him out in your original post and make negative insinuations (<--Big Word) about Landil's intelligence. This forum isn't a place for people to flame each other, it is to benefit everybody through a community effort. The only person you are allowed to make fun of here is me, got that?

- Huh ... I don't get the sense of your first two sentences.
- "insinuations" is really a nice word *THUMBS UP*

An extended skin file would be nice, but not for animations. Just think about meta information in the skin. No need to care about the file names anymore. Or one could even use a field for the licenses, author ...

But I don't wanna see animated skins. People would misuse it and it complicates the skin creation process. One can use the skin engine as it is now. Sure there are some restrictions, but they increase the need of the creator's creativity.

|X-treme Leader| Magix wrote:

However, I don't like how you specifically pointed him out in your original post and make negative insinuations (<--Big Word) about Landil's intelligence.

I didn't made any allusions on the intelligence of landil.

I was making allusion to his signature "Try to be smarter, I'll try to be nicer".

My skins

Nothing of common value for a long time.

Locking.

Used to be very active waay back